Sort Photos with missing Geotags

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sort Photos with missing Geotags Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:23 am • by Polaria
Hi,
I am searching for a rule which can sort Photos with missing Geotag out of a specific folder to an other folder, where i can add Geotags than manually.
After adding Geotags Hazel should recognize this and move the Photos with Geotags back to the first folder.
Can someone help me with this rule? I dont know how to teach hazel to do the above sorting.
Thank you very much!
Polaria

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can check whether the "Latitiude" attribute is blank and go from there. BTW, you capitalized Photos. Not sure if that was intentional and whether you want to process photos in the Photos app, but if so, I would recommend against doing this as having Hazel process internal files out from underneath another app can cause problems.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:34 am • by Polaria
Thanks for your answer, but the described way does not work. I have made the rule as you described. In the Folder are only pictures with gps-data in the exifs. But the rule does not notice the gps-info. The Condition "Latitude" "is blank" is in the preview marked as green even though every picture has is gps-data.
What could i do?
Polaria

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:20 am • by Mr_Noodle
What geotag information is available then? Does Hazel's preview actually show Latitude as blank? You might need to experiment with different Spotlight fields to find which ones actually map to the data you want.

Alternatively, you can try using a script which uses 'exiftool'. Search the forums as there should be examples.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:45 pm • by Polaria
I tried it with this script:
Code: Select all
set exiftool to "/usr/local/bin/exiftool"
exiftool -if '$gpslatitude' -dummy $1

But no JPG with GPS-Information can pass this script ("Not Matched"). Any Advice?
Polaria

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 am • by Polaria
Interesting. If the Photo-Files are on my Synology-NAS (in the "/photo"-Folder), the rule with the exiftool-script will not work. The same files copied on a local Folder on my Mac the rule runs smooth. The photo-Folder on the NAS is named in the "Universal-Search" to be indexed. But it seems that this is the problem. Are there any known solutions?
Polaria

Re: Sort Photos with missing Geotags Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 am • by Mr_Noodle
You may need to contact Synology. I find that NASes tend to have problems with compatibility that can make them a pain.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support