Sort into subfolder by letter

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sort into subfolder by letter Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:31 pm • by leftnotracks
I have an action that sorted a bunch of files into subfolders. which is working fine. But there are so many folders (over 19,000) I would like to add a level sorted by first letter.

What I have:
• Aardvark
• Alpha
• Animal
• Banana
• Bravo
• Bullet

What I want:
• A
   • Aardvark
   • Alpha
   • Animal
• B
   • Banana
   • Bravo
   • Bullet

With each folder sorted into it's appropriate letter. Not all folders start with a letter, so numerical would go into a folder (one folder for all digits). I don't see a way to capture the first letter of a filename when creating a subfolder. I know I can create 27 actions, one for each subfolder, but I bet there’s a more elegant solution.
leftnotracks

Re: Sort into subfolder by letter Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 pm • by leftnotracks
Some more information.

I added a search criteria to find all folders that begin with a letter or a digit using a custom token. I then used that custom token to name a subfolder to sort the found folders into. This is not working. No subfolders have been created.
This should find any folder that begins with a letter or a digit, then sort it into a subfolder named with the initial character. Here you can see that a selected folder passes all tests.
But it doesn't create the subfolder.
leftnotracks

Re: Sort into subfolder by letter Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
Go through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

In particular, the rule status as well as the logs. Make sure to do both (a lot of people tend to jump right to the logs).

Also, you may want to put in a condition to not act on the single letter folders as you will end up with a loop where it keeps putting it into deeper and deeper folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support