Moving Files into Same Subfolders - Different Source Folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi. I've done a search on this forum for this one and cannot seem to find a solution...so I'm hoping you Hazel Experts can help!

Here is my scenario. I have a folder directory of educational catalog files. For example:

Main Folder
-Degree 1
--Advising Worksheet
--Catalog File
-Degree 2
--Advising Worksheet
--Catalog File
-Degree 3
--Advising Worksheet
--Catalog File

I have a hazel rule set up on the "Main Folder" that processes all sub folders...so that if I place a catalog pdf file into one of the "Degree" folders containing the name "catmodify", it renames the file to the name of the source folder, such as: Degree 1 Catalog File.pdf.

This is also done for the Advising Worksheet files...if the file contains "admodify", it renames the file to the name of the source folder, such as: Degree 1 Advising Worksheet.pdf.

What I cannot figure out is how to create a rule to move those newly renamed files to their appropriate subfolder in the source folder. So "Degree 1 Catalog File.pdf" (now residing in Degree 1 Folder) would be moved to Degree 1/Catalog File.....while "Degree 2 Catalog File.pdf" (now residing in Degree 2 Folder) would be moved to Degree 2/Catalog File....and so on.

So basically I need a way to move a particular file to a subfolder with the same name inside a variety of different source folders.

Thank you in advance for your help!!! :)
ariddle

Use a match pattern with a custom attribute to match the last part of the name ("Catalog File"). You can then use Sort into subfolder with that custom attribute. Give that a shot and report back on where you are getting stuck.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Perfect. So simple that I completely overlooked it! Here are screenshots showing my complete setup to help anyone else out in the future with a similar workflow:

ariddle

Return to Support