Hazel moves file before it is completely built

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I recently switched from ScanSnap software to VueScan for scanning my documents. My scanner is no longer supported by ScanSnap for software updates thus the need to switch.

Hopefully the following is not too confusing.

The way that VueScan seems to scan a 2 page double sided document (4 pages total) is to scan Page 1 - Side 1 and creates a file, then the info for Page 1 - Side 2 creates a second file, then these two files are combined into one (so, now back to a single file). Then it continues to the Page 2- Side 1 and creates a new file (now there are two files again), then it appears to join that file into the first combined pair and drops back to one file, then it takes the info from the Page 2 - Side 2 and creates a new second file, then eventually combines that with the first three pages and we are back to a single file. I would assume this process would continue (creating temporary files, combining, and deleting them) with additional pages in the document.

This whole process takes less than a minute. The problem is that Hazel seems to move the file to it's new destination in the middle of this process. What gets moved may be the first 2 or 3 pages but the fourth gets left behind.

I have a step in my rules that says "Date is not in the last 1 minute". I thought this might delay the move but it does not. I have also tried this as 2 minutes but that does not work either.

Any ideas on how to get this rule to start working with my new scanner software?
jormsby

Is there a specific naming scheme it uses? If so, maybe you can add a condition to the rule to filter those out?

Otherwise, you'll need to add some sort of delay. Something like "Date last modified is not in the last X minutes".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by filter out the naming convention. It does have one (and I can change it) but I'm not sure what to do.

I did try adding a rule above all other rules that was "Date last modified is not in the last 1 minutes" with the action of "continue matching rules". Assuming that this would put a delay for 1 minute before any rules after it were run, but I have the same issue. Now it seems that as soon as the first side of the first page is scanned, it is moved based on later rules and the remaining pages are left behind.

Any other suggestions?
jormsby

I thought there was a naming convention for the temporary files that are created such that you can have Hazel ignore them.

The delay should not use Continue like that. You need to add it to the rule that you have to move the file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support