Not able to select a specific folder for new rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I'm trying to create a new rule/set for the /User/<name>/Ultimate so that I can work on files in that folder. However, when I open new rule creation pane, the folder is grayed out and I can only select either the <name> folder or other folders that have sub-folders in them.

How to I select a leaf folder to work in for a new rule?

Hazel ver 4.3.5
macOS 10.14.4
Last edited by gvantass on Wed May 22, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gvantass

Can you post a screenshot of this? Note you can't upload images here but you can use a third party image hosting service like imgur.com.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you post a screenshot of this? Note you can't upload images here but you can use a third party image hosting service like imgur.com.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf3w1e3d7lmji ... 3.png?dl=0

Hazel file selection screen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqhwyjxwh2aow ... 9.png?dl=0

Contents of the file folder that I want to process.
gvantass

Strange. Can you check the permissions on the Ultimate folder and make sure you have proper read and execute permissions on it?

Also, did you create the Ultimate folder in Finder or did some other program create it? Try another app, like TextEdit and see if you can navigate to the folder there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Strange. Can you check the permissions on the Ultimate folder and make sure you have proper read and execute permissions on it?

Also, did you create the Ultimate folder in Finder or did some other program create it? Try another app, like TextEdit and see if you can navigate to the folder there.

That's weird. I tried to open that folder with BBEdit, but no luck. I checked the permissions and even changed them to 777, no luck. On closer inspection of the folder in Finder, I realized that there are several zero-byte files in the home folder.

On a hunch, I renamed the Ultimate folder, opened the app again, and lo and behold! It created the folder and is now available to use and create the desired rules.

I recently had to get a replacement SDD in my laptop, and had forgotten that the recovery ended up having to be somewhat piecemeal. Looks like somewhere in the recovery of my data from backup, things got munged up.

In any event, thanks to your guidance, I was able to figure out what the problem was and get it fixed. Not sure about the WHY, but I'm good to go. Thank you so much!
gvantass

Return to Support