Creating folder/subfolder structure & moving files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I am having trouble getting things right in my attempt to create a folder/subfolder structure based on date and then be able to move files to it. I have tried many ways, but each time something doesn't work as needed. Also, I don't think that what I have is efficient anyway.

One of the big caveat of my setup, is that ending folders and files will need to be on a NAS, which is not indexed by spotlight, therefore metatags cannot be used for variables on the NAS.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:
1) Picture directory on main HDD. I will add photos and videos from multiple sources (Camera, SD cards, external hdd, etc.) to it, by simply "dumping" the files in that directory. They could be in multiple folders, different names, dates, extensions, etc.

2) Using date created metatag and other info like "kind", "device model", process all files and sort them into various new folders and subfolders in this format (Using date as main "category"):

[2019-01-31]
    --- Original Media
    ------ Sony Photos/img_01.jpg
    ------ Sony Videos/vid_01.mov
    ------ GoPro Videos/G0001.MOV
    ------ DSLR Photos/IMG_01.JPG

3) Under each main folders (Folders named after date of files it contains), I also need to create additional subfolders which may not contain files yet. It would start to look like this:

[2019-01-31]
    --- Original Media
    ------ Sony Photos/img_01.jpg
    ------ Sony Videos/vid_01.mov
    ------ GoPro Videos/G0001.MOV
    ------ DSLR Photos/IMG_01.JPG
    ------ Timelape Videos/empty
    --- Editing
    ------ Raw Cuts/empty
    ------ Color Grading/empty
    --- Post Editing
    ------ Final Cuts/empty
    ------ MP4's/empty

4) For each dated folders, once folder/subfolder structure is established and files are added to proper folders, I need to move the whole structure and containing files to the NAS.

5) If new files are added to original "pictures" directory in the main HDD, I need to be able to process them again into the proper folders and move them to the correct folders into the NAS.

This is what I am successfully able to do currently (But probably not the best way):

1.a) Monitor the picture directory for new files and sort files into correct subfolders, using rules for each device types:

1.b) Create the structure using an automator script and move the entire folder/subfolder structure to the NAS

1.c) Move the files to the correct folders/subfolders

What I am not able to do is, after initial import, is to go back and add new files to the monitored folder, without creating a duplicate dated folder on the NAS

Thanks for any help!!!
ogmios

I think that I have find my own solution.

For each file in monitoring folder:
1.a) Move to NAS
1.b) Sort into subfolder using date taken for photos and date created for videos
2.) Delete empty folders
3.) Get into subfolders

In NAS directory
1) Run Automator script and use condition of "date added is after Date last matched"

This seems to work for me!
ogmios

Return to Support