Processing multiple rules for the same file

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Processing multiple rules for the same file Fri May 17, 2019 1:12 am • by nicks089
Hi Everyone,

I have seen a couple of topics posted about the same issue, but I still can't find the answer to the problem.

I have been using Hazel for a few weeks at work, to process files by filename into specific folders, for example:

If any of the following conditions are met:
Name contains "Batman"
Copy to folder "DC"
Continue matching rules
Run rules on folder contents

I also have a rule set up for another file:
Name contains "IronMan"
Copy to folder "Marvel"
Continue matching rules
Run rules on folder contents

Now these run fine individually, however for a file that was called "Batman_IronMan_fight.jpg", it would still only process one of the rules. I want it to copy the file to both folders.

Can someone help?
nicks089

It should work. I suggest going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Also, "Run rules on folder contents" won't work in those rules. See the help on subfolders for a discussion on how to use that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It should work. I suggest going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Also, "Run rules on folder contents" won't work in those rules. See the help on subfolders for a discussion on how to use that.

Thanks Mr Noodle, I did use this guide to create my rules to begin with. When I run a test on both rules, they match. But when I start Hazel, it only copies the file to one of the destinations, not the other.

I'm pretty stumped as to why it won't process both at the same time.

EDIT: It will only run the first rule on the list. If I change the order, it will copy the other rule first. Despite both rules including the "Continue Matching Rules".
nicks089

How does it look in the rule status? Does it only show one rule matching or both?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The logs show that both rules are matched, but it's only copying the file for the first rule.
nicks089

I suggest checking the logs then. I suspect there may be an error doing the second copy.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

There is no error in the logs. Both rules are set up exactly the same way.

As I said before, if I switch the order of rules, the first one is always processed and the second one does not copy. It is an issue with the program not executing the second file copy.
nicks089

Can you send me the logs of a run, showing it copying the first one?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support