AppleScript creating new folder name and display differ

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Unfortunately this issue is still occurring so i'm trying to reopen this thread to address the issue.

Perhaps I'm not clear since we are texting so let me try to see if we can focus on where we may not be communicating effectively.

1 - I understand the naming of folders and files the include . are the different.

Summary of issues:
- i have

Mr_Noodle wrote:If there is a dot in the file, they will differ. That is by definition.

- understand they will differ. But shouldn't this difference be on all not just some? Like I have some folders that process with a trailing "." fine while others do not. But if I remove the "." then add it again. The folder processes fine. Trying to understand why the issue is a global issue

What can we do to isolate the issue above? Please guide me so that I can get this issue addressed.
Thanks
united

You need to provide more evidence of this. I haven't seen anything which shows that it will treat some files with an ending dot differently than others.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Revisiting since the issue still is occurring.

Understood
1 folders or files that have a "." is seen as an extension
2 The red indicator means that the condition does not match and that is the field causing the problem.

question
2 - how do you find out what specific issue is with the field. Since if i manually change the trailing "." and then press return then edit the name of the folder again and add the "." The rule seems to work.

observations
- some folder with an "." in the name or trailing "." process without an error while others do not.
- also some of those folders that do not proces with an "." if you manually change (remove the "." and then add the ".") the folder processes fine.

conclusion
- if the behavior was consistent I'd say it's them naming convention but since the behavior is inconsistent I feel the software has a bug in it (v 4.4.4)

fix potentially
- folders should be seen as folders not extensible and should be processed as a full name for matching rather than "name" both should be identical and not separate selectively. Since some folders have the same naming convention but they are seen as different full name and name.

unless there is another way to fix this?
? - how do I troubleshoot the issue.
united

I've received your email and have responded there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support