Subfolder Processing

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Subfolder Processing Fri May 03, 2019 1:51 pm • by Radius360
I'm having some trouble getting Hazel to process subfolders correctly. In short, I'd like to copy newly added episodes of specific TV shows (among many) to another folder.

Monitored folder:
TV Shows
____Arrow (filtered by folder name in first rule)
________Season 1 (processed as subfolder)
___________Arrow S01E02.mp4 (file to be copied if added within 5 min)

I'm assuming I've missed something critical and probably obvious but what happens is ALL TV show files are copied regardless of folder structure and naming. I'd like the specified TV shows folders to be filtered and the following rules applied only to them.

I'm sure I could have Hazel search by file name and skip the extra steps but I'd like to learn how to drill into subfolders for other purposes as well.

Radius360

Re: Subfolder Processing Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
You have two rules to go into subfolders. One of the only goes into certain folders, but the other one says to go into every folder. You should get rid of that second rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Subfolder Processing Mon May 06, 2019 2:38 pm • by Radius360
Mr_Noodle wrote:You have two rules to go into subfolders. One of the only goes into certain folders, but the other one says to go into every folder. You should get rid of that second rule.

I tried that (unchecked the rule) but now it doesn't see anything beyond the Season folder. I need a way to get to the files within the Season folder but only within the ones called out by the first rule's filter. Does this make sense?

I should add... I noticed the first rule set to match ALL. It should have been ANY. I've changed this but the problem persists.
Radius360

Re: Subfolder Processing Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
Try using the preview and rule status interfaces to help debug the issue. In particular, the rule status should show you how Hazel is or isn't descending into subfolders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Subfolder Processing Wed May 08, 2019 3:37 pm • by Radius360
Mr_Noodle wrote:Try using the preview and rule status interfaces to help debug the issue. In particular, the rule status should show you how Hazel is or isn't descending into subfolders.

Here are the revised steps. As suggested I removed the Process Subfolders rule. The last image is the rule status indicating that Hazel has successfully filtered the show folders but after that everything goes wrong. It's not seeing the files within the Season folders. The "Copy Shows" rule is basically working on everything but what I want.

Do rules not work in sequence? And can you not pass the results of the first rule to the next rule and so on? I just don't understand what I'm missing?

Radius360

Re: Subfolder Processing Thu May 09, 2019 10:54 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that the shows themselves contain the word "Arrow". You should add conditions to distinguish between the folders and the files.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Subfolder Processing Sun May 12, 2019 9:14 am • by dudeslife
Radius360 wrote:I'm having some trouble getting Hazel to process subfolders correctly. In short, I'd like to copy newly added episodes of specific TV shows (among many) to another folder.

Monitored folder:
TV Shows
____Arrow (filtered by folder name in first rule)
________Season 1 (processed as subfolder)
___________Arrow S01E02.mp4 (file to be copied if added within 5 min)

Sonarr does this automatically.
dudeslife

Return to Support