Sync from 2 sources

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sync from 2 sources Fri May 03, 2019 4:02 am • by PragmaticPraxis
I am looking to implement a bi-directional sync with two sources.

I have a DEV folder on both a desktop and a laptop machine, and I would like to do a two way sync with both of them, so a third DEV folder on a Mac Mini, that will then manage cloud backups. The idea is, I can work in the local folder and the iMac, and changes get pushed to the Mac Mini, and then to the MBP. Take the MBP to a cafe to work, and when I am back on the network the laptop pushes changes to the Mac Mini, which then pushes the changes to the iMac.

My question is, is Hazel the right tools for this, or am I perhaps actually better served using DropBox or the like? I would rather do it with Hazel so I don't have to think about total size, but if it's not going to be 100% bomb proof, I will look at alternatives.

Also, assuming Hazel is the right answer, would the better implementation be single Hazel on the Mac Mini, or Hazel on both the iMac and the MBP? The former seems better, as there is no chance of two instances of hazel on different machines walking over each other. But that is unlikely to happen anyway as my workflow ensures that all changes happen on one machine at a time, so as long as those changes can propagate in a timely fashion I will "probably" be ok.

thoughts?
PragmaticPraxis

Re: Sync from 2 sources Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel is not really made for two way sync. I suggest software specifically designed for that so that it can handle conflicts and such. Something like Chronosync may work for you here.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support