"Contents contain" conditions now failing

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

"Contents contain" conditions now failing Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm • by jschlight
Hazel has worked well for years. I use Hazel primarily to inspect the contents of generated and downloaded PDF financial statements, to rename the files to a consistent format, and to place the renamed files in the appropriate folder.

Recently, however, most of my rules have stopped working. On closer inspection, using the Preview feature, I've discovered that any "Contents contain" condition, that has worked flawlessly for years, is now failing. If I change the condition to "Contents contain match", with the exact same pattern, the condition matches.

What once operated seamlessly in the background now requires constant attention as I discover files are not where they are expected to be. I need to locate the original file, then load up Hazel and find the applicable rule, run the Preview to see which conditions are now failing, and then individually fix each failing condition. I've got probably a hundred rules.
jschlight

Re: "Contents contain" conditions now failing Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 am • by Mr_Noodle
"Contents contains" relies on Spotlight so if it is suddenly not working, that points to your Spotlight index not being correct. I suggest re-building your Spotlight index and also looking to see if you made any other changes that might affect it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thank you.

Rebuilding the Spotlight index has resolved the issue.

In case someone else runs into this issue, the instructions for rebuilding the Spotlight index are available from Apple at this link:

https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page ... cale=en_US

Jim.
jschlight

Return to Support