Renamed file incudes "?"

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Renamed file incudes "?" Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 am • by darcuss
Hi.

I'm using Contents > Contain Match to match the contents of a pdf and rename it, however the renamed files always contain a question mark ("?").

Rule = Contents Contains > Contain Match > Custom Text > Ordenante [abc] [abc] [abc]

I then rename with the Ordenante Token.

It works well except except after Ordenante it always returns a question mark and I can't ReplaceText it in the rename rule.

In the case of the example in the image, the file is renamed Ordenante?Jose Artiles.

Is this to do with the new line in the PDF? How can I escape it? Or something else?
darcuss

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 am • by Mr_Noodle
How do things look in the preview? Is the "?" in the original text? Is it capture by your custom attribute?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am • by darcuss
In the preview everything fine and it almost works perfectly except for this character.

The question mark isn’t in the pdf text. There is a new line between the matched text, “Ordenante”, and random customer names which are captured no problem by an abc text capture token. I somehow can’t replace the ? in the file rename. I was thinking it was to do with the new line in the pdf. Maybe it’s an illegal character which finder is reporting as a question mark?

Thanks for your help.
darcuss

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
Yeah, I think it's some sort of illegal/invisible character though not sure how it's appearing in the rename if it isn't a part of any of the custom attributes. Can you export your rule and send it in to support? Click the "Contact support" button in Hazel's "Info" section and attach it to the email that way.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 am • by darcuss
Mr_Noodle wrote:Yeah, I think it's some sort of illegal/invisible character though not sure how it's appearing in the rename if it isn't a part of any of the custom attributes. Can you export your rule and send it in to support? Click the "Contact support" button in Hazel's "Info" section and attach it to the email that way.

Thanks! I can't export the rule unless I license Hazel. I really like it so I probably will but I'm still evaluating it.
darcuss

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:58 pm • by darcuss
Back to work on Monday and I'm probably going to buy this. Do you think this issue will be possible to fix/solve, because otherwise this will be a waste of money?
darcuss

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am • by Mr_Noodle
I've replied to you via email with a possible workaround.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Renamed file incudes "?" Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 pm • by darcuss
Mr_Noodle wrote:I've replied to you via email with a possible workaround.

Received and everything working fine. For anyone who might be following this or come across it in the future, I was using:
Contents > Contains match to find text which followed a particular term in a pdf. What I did wrong was include the term in the Custom Text token instead of preceding it. As soon as I changed this, as suggested to me by Mr Noodle via my support request, everything worked perfectly.

I'm incredibly happy with the program and setting up all sorts of rules to file everything I work with every day.

Thank you.
darcuss

Return to Support