Moving files to NAS Changes Created Date

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

New to this....I've searched for ages and can't find anything on it! When I move files using Hazel, it all works great, when I move them to my NAS it seems to reset the created date of images/videos to today. It doesn't do this in other locations, just the NAS.

Any helpful theories as to what I can do to work around this? I'm trying to sort into folders and rename based on date, and I'd like to keep the capture date accurate....
davidjmartin8

Moving across filesystems will result in a new created date. Try using the capture date metadata instead. Hazel provides a version of this called "Date Taken (Hazel)" if you select "Other..." in the attribute popup.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

At least I know it's not a new issue just happening to me! Does date taken work for video? It was putting my videos into an odd folder! Thanks for getting back on this - really appreciate it :)
davidjmartin8

Re: Moving files to NAS Changes Created Date Sat May 18, 2019 8:06 pm • by ogmios
This solution works great for photos, but not for videos :-(
ogmios

Re: Moving files to NAS Changes Created Date Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel doesn't really provide that for videos but I'll look into it as a possibility in the future.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving files to NAS Changes Created Date Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 pm • by Ni€ls
I have the same Problem, the real creation Date was written in the metadata inside my pdf-Files.
The creation Date inside the finder-viewer was diferent and not the real creation Date from my pdf-Files.

How to use the creation date from the metadata of a pdf file?
how should the rule look like this?

Code: Select all
if all of the following conditions are met
Kind is PDF
"???" is in the last 1 month

Do the following to the matched file or folder:
Move to folder "xyz"
Ni€ls

Re: Moving files to NAS Changes Created Date Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 am • by Mr_Noodle
Check the other date attributes available and see if any of those match the date you are looking for.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support