Having trouble with - continue matching rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Having trouble with - continue matching rules Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:23 pm • by dealtek
Hi all,

rule 1:

Kind is archive
do
Ignore
Continue matching rules

rule 2:

Date modified is not in the last 90 days
-- some other criteria nothing to do with zips
Do:
move to folder 2

Problem: the zip archives are getting moved to folder to anyway.

Question: is there a better way to set this up (continue matching rules) so that the zip archives stay in the first folder?
dealtek

It doesn't make sense to use Ignore and Continue in the same action. Get rid of the Continue there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for your help.

So I removed the "Continue matching rules" from the first ignore rule. But the .zips end up getting moved to folder2. I would like them to stay in folder 1

Now rule 1 is:

Kind is archive
do
Ignore
------
also tried

name ends with .zip
do
ignore

My exact rule2 is:

rule 2:

Date modified is not in the last 90 days
name does not start with - (dash) --- (zips do not start with dash)
Do:
move to folder 2

My goal is to not move any .zips to folder2.

Most likely I am missing something....

Q: How do I keep the .zips from moving to folder 2?

UPDATE: I tried the same rule set on a local drive - and it did work as expected. So the problem seems to be something on the large external drive. But it also has a large time machine backup so I have been told things like disk warrior or disk utility would take forever. Should I try? Or maybe I should try redoing spotlight? Any Suggestions?
dealtek

Why don’t you add „kind is not archive“ or „extension is not .zip“ to the second rule and delete the whole first rule?
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

That would seem to indicate Spotlight on that drive is not working, thus affecting the "Kind" categorization. If you want to filter on extension, then use "extension" or "full name", not "name".
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Robert wrote:Why don’t you add „kind is not archive“ or „extension is not .zip“ to the second rule and delete the whole first rule?

Hi Robert....

because part of the rule is match ALL and
name does not start with - (dash) --- (zips do not start with dash)

so all criteria won't be met correctly
dealtek

Mr_Noodle wrote:That would seem to indicate Spotlight on that drive is not working, thus affecting the "Kind" categorization. If you want to filter on extension, then use "extension" or "full name", not "name".

Ok thanks - good Idea I will try that.
dealtek

Mr_Noodle wrote:That would seem to indicate Spotlight on that drive is not working, thus affecting the "Kind" categorization. If you want to filter on extension, then use "extension" or "full name", not "name".

Hi - I just tried "extension" rather than kind and that works perfectly!!!
THANKS!
dealtek

Return to Support