Signing of HazelHelper.app

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Signing of HazelHelper.app Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm • by schrodinger_cat
I'm making a script to quickly install all the apps and config all the settings on the clean install of macOS and noticed that Hazel producing this message after install:

Not sure why this is happening. Is HazelHelper.app really doesn't come signed? If so, why?

Here is how I'm installing Hazel:
Code: Select all
brew cask install hazel
osascript -l JavaScript -e "
    Application('System Events').loginItems.push(
        Application('System Events').LoginItem({
            path: '$HOME/Library/PreferencePanes/Hazel.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/HazelHelper.app',
            hidden: false
        })
    )
"

Installation is happening after clean install of macOS 10.14.3.
schrodinger_cat

Re: Signing of HazelHelper.app Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I would highly recommend against installing Hazel via brew. Also, Hazel will add HazelHelper to the login items itself. Doing it again may cause multiple versions being put in there causing all sorts of problems.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Signing of HazelHelper.app Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:49 pm • by schrodinger_cat
Indeed you’re right, I don’t need to add HazelHelper.app manually to login items. Now it works perfectly, thank you!

What’s wrong with brew cask though? I mean it’s fairly transparent in what it does during install. Of course formulae can break from time to time, but community is fast at fixing any issues usually.
schrodinger_cat

Re: Signing of HazelHelper.app Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
I've seen problems before where it doesn't make sure that only one copy of Hazel is installed (i.e. doesn't check the proper install locations when installing). Having more than one copy running results in various problems as the multiple instances fight against each other.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support