Rules won't match on file until I open it

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules won't match on file until I open it Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 pm • by Brax
Hello folks... This is probably a really simple issue, but my pee brain cannot seem to figure it out. I'm using Hazel to take actions (mainly renaming, tagging, and moving) on files in one folder. I have about 30 rules with a folder recursion at the end. Every thing was working just fine but I have recently noticed that Hazel will not match on a file unless I first open it in Adobe Reader. As soon as I open it, the rules trigger and the file is renamed, tagged, and moved. Has anyone experienced this?

Please note that I had everything working just fine in the past. The only thing I have changed is that I have a new ScanSnap scanner (iX1500) and have upgraded FineReader.
Brax

Re: Rules won't match on file until I open it Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think it might be related to the issue in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10035&p=27033&hilit=scansnap#p26539
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Rules won't match on file until I open it Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:10 pm • by ngall
I am having the same issue. The linked thread is specific to ScanSnap Home which I don’t use so my problem is more general. Sometimes rules work, other times they don’t until I open the PDF (I do it with Preview)—them bam! Almost instant.

I think that I have narrowed it down a bit because it seems that all the non-working rules all have a “Contents ... contain match” condition in them.
ngall

Re: Rules won't match on file until I open it Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 am • by Mr_Noodle
What program are you using to OCR?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Rules won't match on file until I open it Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm • by ngall
Mr_Noodle wrote:What program are you using to OCR?

When I do OCR, I use PDFPen Pro if someone sent me the PDF. If I scan it, I use ScanSnap Manager (not Home).

All that being said, a heap (the majority) of these documents have come from Print to PDF functionality so they already have the text in there, no OCR needed.
ngall

Re: Rules won't match on file until I open it Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am • by Mr_Noodle
Check the logs. Go to the "Info" pane and click "View Log". You might want to also turn on debug mode as described here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-debug-mode/

Generate the PDF and send in the logs that result.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support