iCloud Drive subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

iCloud Drive subfolders Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 am • by agbear
Hi all,

I'm moving my cloud storage from Dropbox to iCloud Drive and have a nice Hazel rule that renames my payslips in a certain Dropbox subfolder.

When I try to point this rule to the new subfolder on iCloud Drive, Hazel seems to set the rules at the top 'iCloud Drive' level. Is this just a problem with the way iCloud works, or is it a bug with Hazel?

Thanks in advance!
agbear

Re: iCloud Drive subfolders Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:31 am • by Mr_Noodle
iCloud Drive is a bit weird in that what you see in Finder may not reflect the actual files/folders that are actually there. Given other issues with iCloud Drive, I'd stick with Dropbox if you can.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: iCloud Drive subfolders Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 pm • by Robert
Mr_Noodle wrote:iCloud Drive is a bit weird in that what you see in Finder may not reflect the actual files/folders that are actually there. Given other issues with iCloud Drive, I'd stick with Dropbox if you can.

Does that count for the „documents“ folder synced over iCloud, so technically an iCloud Drive, too? I use it since two month and did not had any problems I know of... (using latest Mojave)
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Re: iCloud Drive subfolders Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Is this a folder created by you or by the system or apps?

Also, can you provide more details on how Hazel is responding?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: iCloud Drive subfolders Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:52 pm • by Robert
It is the System Users Documents folder, so user/documents which, if you have iCloud Drive turned on, is automatically synced to iCloud. And Hazel behaves perfectly well – as far as I can see.I was just wondering if I should go for Dropbox even thou I did not recognize any wrong behavior...
"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Re: iCloud Drive subfolders Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:15 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I would switch to something where all files are kept local. When using iCloud drive with your Documents folder, it will sometimes move some files to the cloud. In that state, Hazel will not be able to process the file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support