Match folder name to current date as condition

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hey,

I have been reading the manual, looking at the test rules, and searching this forum for something that I think should be easy (and feel like a total newbie for having to ask):

Is there a way in which I can set as a condition that a folder name should match today's date, before its contents is processed?

My use case, in a nutshell: I have digital tickler files, and want to move – every morning of every day - all documents in the tickler folder that matches today's date to my inbox folder. For example, tomorrow morning I want all files that reside in the folder 20190108 to be moved out of that folder into my inbox folder. The tricky part: these files could have been moved any day into that folder: today, last week, three weeks ago, half a year ago. So none of the date options – date created, date last modified, date last opened, date last matched - helps, it seems to me at least (after trying them all out).

All I would need is a condition along the lines of "Kind is folder" and "Name of the folder matches today's date (in a specific format)". And for the life of me I cannot figure this out…

Any pointers, hopefully not too embarrassing?
nonformality

Check the chapter on match patterns in the help. You can use a custom date attribute. That date attribute can then be used on the left hand side of a condition so you can do "<the date attribute> is Today". You can then do "Run rules on folder contents" to have Hazel go into that folder. You would then need more rules to process the files inside.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thank you! That helped, and I got it to work.

One related question for understanding: the format of Today () is always YYYYMMDD? Or can that somehow be influenced? So far, I can only get it to work with that exact pattern – which is not a problem, it's just out of curiosity (and because it has an influence on my workflow).
nonformality

"Today" doesn't have any sort of pattern since it's not derived from text. Formats are only needed to translate from text to a date. Once as a date, it's just a date representing a point in time without any sense of format.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support