Token deletion bug

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Token deletion bug Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 pm • by dolfs
I have a rule where I used a custom text token that I subsequently wanted to replace with just the pattern is contained. The token was not used anywhere. Yet when I selected it and hit "delete" I got the message that the token was being used in a subsequent action (it was most definitely not). Clicking "Delete" then cause another token to be removed from a condition before the one in which I attempted to delete the token, as well as from a rule after.

Here is the starting situation:
Note that the <•Suffix> token is not used in the action! The <•Suffix> token contains the pattern <...> and the goal was to replace it with just that pattern. It is a cleanup because the token value is not used anywhere and would make the rule easier to read.

So, open the pattern and select the token:

Now hitting "Delete" results in:
Note that, somehow, Hazel seems to think I am dealing with the token to the left of it, and that one is indeed used in an action below.

Subsequently clicking on "Delete" results in this:
The <•Suffix> token was indeed removed from the condition I was editing, but the other token <•Date From Prefix> was removed from the condition before and after, but not from the condition I was editing. It was also removed from the action. This is particularly annoying because the other two occurrences of <•Date From Prefix> contain different patterns that are also subsequently lost.

Although the issue can be avoided by first removing the <•Date From Prefix> token from the action, then deleting the <•Suffix> token (no warnings or problems this way), and then reinstitution of the token in the action, I consider this a bug.

Related, but separate I could see an improvement where merely deleting a token elsewhere (in those scenarios where that would actually be correct), allowing the warning to have two choices:
  • Delete token, but replace with its pattern
  • Delete token and its pattern

This (choosing the first alternative) would at least preserve what each condition was matching, reducing the odds unexpected side effects of such an edit.
dolfs

Re: Token deletion bug Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:16 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think this is fixed in the development build as I did fix something related to this. I can't replicate it here, nonetheless. If you'd like to run a test build, email in to support so I can be sure that it also fixes your case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support