Select text on Pdf after Re: (Just the one line)

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi, I just bought Hazel and am very impressed! I receive many letters in pdf with generic numbers as the file name, I would like to rename them with the actual subject of the letter which always starts with Re: (then the actual subject, always on one line). Is it possible to find then use that subject to rename the file?

Thanks in advance for your help for what I am sure is a basic question, for which I am struggling to get my head around!
Mache

That should be doable. Look up "match patterns" in the help. You can create a pattern to capture the text after the "Re:" into a custom attribute which you can then use to rename the file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thats wonderful, thanks for a speedy reply! If you can give a little pointer as to what that actually means...

I understand the match patterns, but not how to create the pattern I need, as the result will always be variable
Mache

I can create the rule to find the Pdf, but I get stuck on the rename box "rename (text box) with (text box)
Mache

Are you referring to the "Replace text" function? You should need that here. Use the "Rename" action. In the text box there you can specify a pattern. When using the match pattern, you should have created a custom attribute to match the subject line. That custom attribute should be available to use in the rename pattern.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi Mr Noodle,

Thanks again for your help, but as I have just had Hazel for a week and I am spending a disproportionate amount of time trying unsuccessfully accomplish this "rename", I have decided to ditch the re-name and just do a search instead.

I will just use Hazel to move things around.

Thanks again for your help.
Mache

If you post your rules, I can take a look and see what may be wrong with them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi Mr Noodle,

Unfortunately I deleted them...
Mache

Hi Mr_Noodle,

I have tried to re-create the rules:

If all of the following conditions are met

If name starts with CB-
If source/url is

Do the following
Rename with pattern Replace Name with Re: (anything)

When the rule operates it finds the file correctly and re-names it to -1

I hope that is of help and again thanks for your patience!
Mache

Maybe that helps: You have to look for contains, contain match, custom text. There you enter the RE: (Anything).

This becomes a token you can use in the renaming process.

"Behind all the inhuman aspects of automation (...) its real possibilities appear: the genesis of a technological world in which man can finally withdraw from (...) the apparatus of his labor – in order to experiment freely with it." /Marcuse
Robert

Hi Robert,

That works perfectly, thanks for you help and the screenshots, it was really kind.
Mache

Return to Support