Rule not running / Odd activity in Debug mode

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hey Mr_Noodle

My rule wasn't taking any action for some reason, so I've enabled Debug mode to see if I can work it out. I noticed that Hazel is trying to read things like my browser preferences file. I've copied and pasted the text into the link just below, rather than clutter up the forum here with it. Given that the folder that's currently being actioned is nowhere near those preference files, I'm not sure why it's trying to read them.
https://ss.ssby.me/DqAekvVJPj.txt

As I said, I'm also having issues with the rule not running correctly, and I was wondering if you might be able to have a look for me. I've currently only got two active rules on this folder, one to delete item tagged "Delete", and one to move tagged files to another folder if the tag isn't "Delete". These are basic rules I've used on other folders (exact same rule structure), but these ones don't seem to work. Suggestions?

EDIT: I have checked the rules against the files in the folder with the preview eye, and it should be applying the rules.
BigJazzz

Hazel will read pref files of different browsers to determine what their download folder is. Based on that, it might behave a bit differently when handling files in those folders, for example for dupe and incomplete download detection.

As for your rules not working, can you give me the name of a file that is not being matched and what rule it should match?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Huh, interesting. I haven't got either the option ticked on my Downloads folder, so should it still be checking then? I can understand checking if either/both of those options are enabled.

And it would seem that stopping Hazel, rebooting my laptop, and running Hazel again fixed the issue. I have noticed this a few times, actually, where it seems to hang and then not actually match anything. Next time it happens I'll try to grab some debug data for you.
BigJazzz

Hazel doesn't know the Downloads folder is the folder until it checks. It's a user preference, so they can set it to be any folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Ok, so I have an example of a rule not running. As you can see, the colour labels match, and thus the rule should be applied. I have a number of files in the same situation, all with the same two tags.

Is there any other way to see what tags are applied, other than just what I can see in the Finder GUI?

BigJazzz

If you are trying to match tags, I suggest using the "Tags" attribute in your conditions instead of color label. The last condition does not match so the rule shouldn't match if you set the top level pop-up to "all". I can't quite tell since the image is cut off.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'm not sure. I'll have to double-check, as I've significantly streamlined my rules now.

And I use the colours to make it easier when I create new labels, as I use the purple for all the items to be filed in specific folders. Saves me having to remember to add a new tag I create. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens now I've made changes. It's probably the 5th round of changes I've made to my rules, each time getting tidier as I understand Hazel better. :D
BigJazzz

Ok, here we go. The other folders under Misc have been processed correctly, using other purple tags. This one though, seems to not be matching the colour. I've included a screenshot of my tags so you can see the other tags. I'll try deleting the tag and re-adding it to see if that fixes the issue.

BigJazzz

I started Debug because I have a whole bunch of files sitting in my folder that should be actioned, but aren't. I picked one of the file names saying it's not part of the change event (see the code block below), and checked it against the next rule in the process (see the first image). It says it matches, so I'm not sure why it's not processing against that rule. If you see something in the log file that might help point out what I've broken, I'd be eternally grateful!

Code: Select all
2018-12-29 16:02:30.514 hazelworker[6610] DEBUG: Skipped /Volumes/GoogleDrive/My Drive/Google Photos/2018-08-25 07.49.20.png. File/folder not part of change set/file event.

https://ss.ssby.me/cEkTELiX5w.txt
BigJazzz

Can you use the rule status UI (the eye button)? Make sure it's not matching some other rule. Also, try running the rules manually as that will force it to re-run rules on files that were already matched.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support