App Sweep vs. AppCleaner (& other uninstaller) algorithms

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have used AppCleaner for a while, and kept it on after enabling Hazel's App Sweep for a while. I noticed that other programs (AppCleaner is just one I have tested) always seem to find more cruft left over from apps I'm deleting. Chrome is just one example.

Is Hazel's App Sweep working as intended and not finding as many files to be more conservative in its functionality? Or is it possible to look at tweaking the algorithm to be more liberal in its findings in the future?

Thanks.

philipmv

It does appear that Hazel is missing the helper log files. I'll look into that. Note that it is a guessing game and some app devs are not particularly compliant as to where they put files so some may be missed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:It does appear that Hazel is missing the helper log files. I'll look into that. Note that it is a guessing game and some app devs are not particularly compliant as to where they put files so some may be missed.

Thanks. As I've been evaluating Hazel, I think it's extremely useful and plan on registering it. However, it seems that the App Sweep feature needs to be more, well, sweeping in its nature or otherwise it might be better for me to turn it off and use a dedicated app uninstaller like the one I mentioned.

It's probably a ton of work to create the search algorithms that are supposed to catch all the leftover files, and I understand that creating the ultimate app cleaning function is probably beyond Hazel's scope. At least for now.

Looking forward to the updates. Thanks.
philipmv

Return to Support