Issue with Counter

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Issue with Counter Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:45 pm • by jalvani
Hey, all.

This seems like a simple use-case to me, but I can't sort out why it's not working out.

I have a folder which is a dead-simple use-case for the Counter function. I'll periodically drop one or more files into the folder and each file will have an arbitrary name, and I want them to be renamed (this is for Plex, but that's irrelevant to the issue).

Here's the rule for the folder:

Here's configuration I'm using for the Counter:

Here's the result:

The counter isn't counting, and I'm banging my head into a wall to figure out why.

If I switch the Counter's flag from "Use lowest available" to "Always increment" and try again, it somewhat behaves like I expect, naming the files with an incrementing number. Unfortunately, if I pull all the files out of the folder, rename them, then add them back in (even one at a time) I can't get the counter to reset to '0'. And if I then switch the flag back to "Use lowest available", all files get the prefix "E001 - ".

Not sure how to get the behavior I expect, which is the behavior described in the docs. Anyone having better luck? Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Hazel 4.3.3 on a brand-new MacMini running 10.14.1.
jalvani

Re: Issue with Counter Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I think there may be a bug with the counter in that situation. Thinking about it a bit more, this might have been an ill-advised feature as it might be difficult to determine given the varying filename patterns. I'll look into it but there is the possibility that the feature may be rescinded.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issue with Counter Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 am • by prc
Any update on this issue?

Mr_Noodle wrote:I think there may be a bug with the counter in that situation. Thinking about it a bit more, this might have been an ill-advised feature as it might be difficult to determine given the varying filename patterns. I'll look into it but there is the possibility that the feature may be rescinded.
prc

Re: Issue with Counter Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
Not really. It's unclear how it would work in this case so that would need to be figured out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support