Attributes

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Attributes Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:23 am • by Paxapunch
I am working with some jpg files and I wish to know definitively where Hazel acquires date data. Specifically, where does Hazel obtain Content created, Created, and Date taken (Hazel) data and just exactly what is the difference between these three data points. If these data are extracted from the file's metadata, which metadata attribute relates to these attributes.
Paxapunch

Re: Attributes Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:52 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel uses Spotlight. As to where Spotlight gets that data, it's from importers provided by the app that handles those files. It varies. Sometimes it gets it from the filesystem and others it gets from data in the file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Attributes Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 pm • by Paxapunch
Hmmmm... So I presume I cannot use Date taken (Hazel) to rename my image files since we do not know where Spotlight gets this data. Is that also the case for the other two attributes I inquired about? Presuming it is, that still leaves the question as to what is the difference between these three data points. Seems you didn't address that. If they are all the same thing, why have three?
Paxapunch

Re: Attributes Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:54 pm • by Mr_Noodle
"Date Taken (Hazel)" is actually an exception in this case. That doesn't require Spotlight, but derives it from various dates available in the file's metadata.

It's not that it's unknown where Spotlight gets its data. It's just that it may be different for each one. Some dates are obtained from the filesystem. Others come from the file's metadata.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Attributes Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:48 pm • by Paxapunch
OK, I guess. But I am still a bit confused. Let me ask a direct question:

Is there an attribute available to Hazel that I can use to rename my photo files and be SURE that the date in the renamed file will be obtained from the datetimeoriginal metadata, assuming that datetimeoriginal exists and is correct? If your answer is positive, which attribute?
Paxapunch

Re: Attributes Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
Probably Date Taken (Hazel). That will check several fields. If it isn't working, then email in an example file and I can take a look at it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support