Same rules, multiple folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Same rules, multiple folders Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:56 pm • by zkarj
I found a couple of topics along these lines but not with an answer which I think applies to my situation.

I have worked out a reasonably complex set of rules to grab images off a memory card and make copies on my internal drive in multiple locations. Now I'd like a way to simply apply that rule set to all my other memory cards (each has a different volume name).

I could just copy the rules, but I know they will change in the future, both in terms of which memory cards will be processed, and also some aspects of the rules will change due to other factors. So having them defined once would be very beneficial.

Technically, all inserted memory cards will come under /Volumes so I could use the subfolder approach, but it makes me nervous to have Hazel monitoring EVERYTHING on my Mac and I shudder at it navigating down all the subfolder trees (which my rules need to do) on any volume that's not a memory card.

Any ideas?
zkarj

Re: Same rules, multiple folders Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Use the rule sync feature. You can sync rulesets between folders. They do not have to be on separate machines. You can sync the same ruleset file on folders on the same machine if you wish.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Same rules, multiple folders Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:17 pm • by zkarj
Ah, sorry, it does say right there in the first paragraph on syncing in the user guide. I just didn't get that far because it seemed aimed at multi-machine use. :oops:
zkarj

Return to Support