Date Taken wrong

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Date Taken wrong Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 pm • by cob417
Hi, I read through the forums a bunch but got mixed answers depending on how old the post was...

I exported some photos from Apple Photos and for simplicity sake have been testing on photos taken with an iPhone. I tried to sort the files into sub folders like YYYY>MM>DD using the "Date Taken" field. I got really strange date that doesn't exist in any of the date fields on the file or EXIF.

Date Taken = 0001-12-31 = wrong Date used for sorting

Created =. 10/18/2017 = Date I exported from Apple Photos
Content Created / Exif = 11/24/2016 = Desired date to be used for sorting

Do I need to use the EXIF tool and create a script to get what I want? Or is the expected result of Date Taken the EXIF date I want and there is some other problem happening? Just seems strange to get a date returned that I can't find anywhere on the file or EXIF.

Thanks,
Chris
cob417

Re: Date Taken wrong Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:47 am • by Mr_Noodle
That date would indicate some sort of default date. Do you have any other program filling in that info? I understand that some programs, instead of leaving it blank, will put in a bogus date like that. Also, just to be certain, you are using "Date Taken (Hazel)" ?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Date Taken wrong Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 pm • by cob417
Mr_Noodle wrote:That date would indicate some sort of default date. Do you have any other program filling in that info? I understand that some programs, instead of leaving it blank, will put in a bogus date like that. Also, just to be certain, you are using "Date Taken (Hazel)" ?

Yes, I am using “Date Taken (Hazel)”.

I am not inserting any extra dates that I know of as it’s a pretty simple workflow. Take photo with iPhone, uploads to Apple Cloud Photo Library, export on Mac using standard Apple Photos feature (I also tried picking up from “Masters” folder) and run rule using Hazel. Get strange date result from Date Taken Hazel. Not sure how a default date could be inserted in this process and I don’t see it anywhere on the Mets data?
cob417

Re: Date Taken wrong Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:40 pm • by Mr_Noodle
The date is the equivalent of "0". I'll have to look into a fix for that but in the meantime, you may need to use one of the scripts (search for them here) which use exiftool.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Date Taken wrong Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:29 pm • by lnjustin
Was there ever any resolution to this? I am running into the exact same issue using Content Created date.
lnjustin

Re: Date Taken wrong Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:27 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you send me a sample file with this issue?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Date Taken wrong Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:13 am • by daversion
Hello. I'm having a similar issue.

Below is a link to a garbage photo in the same set. I have set a 'capture date' in some EXIF software though I know you're looking at GPS date and that's currently set to 12/31/2000. I have no idea how to set the GPS date with software. The photo originally came from Instagram.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gj2d6djpwcmki ... g.zip?dl=0
daversion

Re: Date Taken wrong Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:05 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not seeing much metadata on that file concerning dates. Can you show me the dates as you see them on your end?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support