Moving Files via Tags

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Moving Files via Tags Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:20 pm • by acater
Hi Guys, I just bought Hazel after hearing Max Sparky talk about it forever. I will self-identify as not being a computer stud. Apple Script and other lingo are above my pay grade.

The main thing I am wanting to do is just move files to folders based off the tags I give them. I think this is the easiest way to do what I want done. So if I have a tag called "SSC 2019 Art" I just want hazel to take any file with that tag to the folder with the same name, or the folder with whatever name is on the tag. If the folder doesnt exist, I want it created. Is there not a simple way to say "move files to the folder that matches their tag" or do I have to create a rule for every tag that I have and tell it where to move that file?

Also, is there a service available anywhere that I can describe what I want done and then have someone just create the Hazel rules for me? I checked Fiver and there was no one with Hazel under their descriptions.
acater

Re: Moving Files via Tags Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am • by Mr_Noodle
Is there only one tag on the file? If so, you can do:
Code: Select all
If (all) are met
    Tags contain match (• tag name)
 Do
    Sort into subfolder (• tag name)

where (• tag name) is a custom attribute which matches "anything". If you are unsure what that means then look up "match patterns" in the help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving Files via Tags Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm • by acater
Thanks, that helps. I was hoping to have one rule that just said move the file to whatever the tag name is, versus having to write an individual rule for every single tag I have.
acater

Re: Moving Files via Tags Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
That's what that rule does (providing there is only one tag per file). Read up on "match patterns" to see how they work.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support