Set folder colours

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Set folder colours Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:19 am • by Ting
Hi!

I would like to use Hazel to set the label of a folder (sub-folders as well) to show that it contains a file that was created or modified as follows:

> Red if in the last three days,
> Orange if over three days but less than seven; and
> Yellow if over seven days but less than fourteen

Oh, and clear the folder label if the contents of the folder are over fourteen days old.

So in this way, Hazel sets out a trail for me to follow as I work.

Is it possible to do using Hazel?

Thanks
Ting

Mac User since 1984!
iMac G5; iBook G3; PB165c; PB170; Mac IIcx; Mac SE/30; Mac SE; Mac Plus; Newton 130; 2gen iPod 10G Mac OS X (10.4.7) MacUser since 1984...
Many iPads and an iPhone 5S
Ting

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
Except for the subfolder part (check out the threads in the Open Discussion forum but in a nutshell, subfolder processing will be in 1.1), this is doable.

The rules would look something like this:
- If Date Modified is in the last 3 days -> Set color label to red
- If Date Modified is in the last 7 days -> Set color label to orange
- If Date Modified is in the last 14 days -> Set color label to yellow
- If Date Modified is not in the last 14 days -> Set color label to none

Note the order of the rules is important. The first rule to match is the one that gets applied. If you had the ordering reversed, then you would get all your files set to yellow since any files less than 3 or 7 days are also less than 14. You could also be more specific in the rules to make it slightly less order-dependent. For example, the second rule could be:

- If Date Modified is in the last 7 days and Date Modified is not in the last 3 days -> Set color label to orange

Let me know how it works out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm • by Ting
Thanks

I have created FOUR rules based on your advice above and it now works.

Can't wait for v1.1 and the ability to process sub-folders and I trust, files...
Ting

Mac User since 1984!
iMac G5; iBook G3; PB165c; PB170; Mac IIcx; Mac SE/30; Mac SE; Mac Plus; Newton 130; 2gen iPod 10G Mac OS X (10.4.7) MacUser since 1984...
Ting

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:57 pm • by Ting
Ok. I've spent over an hour playing around and here are a couple of items to consider for the next version:

Ability to apply rules to more than one folder
I've just set the above four rules one at a time for three folders. I suppose Export/Import would a workaround for this but, 'option/click/drag/drop' or 'duplicate into' would be easier

Ability to apply to subfolders and files
Place a couple of check boxes in the rule definition dialog box to allow the rule to be applied to subfolders and separately, the files contained in the subfolders.

Food for thought...
Ting

Mac User since 1984!
Ting

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:17 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Ting wrote:
Ability to apply rules to more than one folder
I've just set the above four rules one at a time for three folders. I suppose Export/Import would a workaround for this but, 'option/click/drag/drop' or 'duplicate into' would be easier

I will be adding drag and drop of rules onto folders so you can copy/move them that way.

Ability to apply to subfolders and files
Place a couple of check boxes in the rule definition dialog box to allow the rule to be applied to subfolders and separately, the files contained in the subfolders.[/quote]

This is already on the list for 1.1 but right now, I'm thinking it would be a rule action ("Apply rules to folder contents"). You would need to set up the conditions to filter folders as needed. Let me know if that works for you or if there is some case that this wouldn't cover.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support