Sort files into folder...

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sort files into folder... Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:20 am • by Alvaro R
Just a quick question for you as I am struggling a little here. I would like to sort my pictures by the camera taken. All my files are named after the camera model e.g.: Canon EOS R6m2 # 2024_04_20 - 01_23_21.CR3 for example. Where the name before "#" says with which model the picture was taken with. In this case, the system should take the file and sort until the letter # shows in the file and create the folder Canon EOS R6m2 # subsequently. How can this be done...? Thank you for the help in advance.
Alvaro R

Re: Sort files into folder... Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 am • by Mr_Noodle
Look up "match patterns" in the help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sort files into folder... Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:54 pm • by Alvaro R
I am not sure that, the match pattern is the one helping here. The question is more about once the conditions are met, and how the system sorts them and names the folders accordingly. In my case, for example, I would like the system to sort them in folders deriving from the file name before the symbol "#" I do understand that you can add matching patterns, but if you need to do this for hundreds and hundreds of options??? e.g. match NIKON D, NIKON D1X, NIKON D2X, NIKON D2Xs, NIKON D3, NIKON D3S, NIKON D3X and also need to create the folders for it.... Is there a way once the file is matched that the system could distribute them into new folders by using delimiters or character positions? e.g. "everything before the first underscore", "everything between the first and the second space character", etc..
Alvaro R

Re: Sort files into folder... Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:42 am • by Mr_Noodle
By using match patterns, you can have a custom attribute match everything up to the #. You do not need to specify every name. The whole point is to exploit patterns in the text.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support