Hazel not working after the last update Sonoma 14.4.1

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Greetings,
I've just updated my MacBook Air M1 to Sonoma 14.4.1, and I'm not able to use Hazel anymore.
When I launch the App, it freezes and I have to force quit it.
I can't even open the window.

How do I fix it?
IvanPsy

What version of Hazel do you have installed?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:What version of Hazel do you have installed?

Hi, now it works again, I don't know why and how.
And because there was an update available, I updated it. Now it's 5.3.3, so I suppose the issue was on the previous version (please consider I always keep my Apps up to date).
IvanPsy

Hi - I've got this problem too: updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 last night & Hazel is now not working (shows as "not responding" in the Force Quit dialogue box). Based on the earlier comments on this thread, I downloaded & installed Hazel 5.5.3 but this doesn't appear to have made a difference.
NickSmith

If it is hung, launch Activity Monitor, select Hazel and do Sample Process. Post/email in the output.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:If it is hung, launch Activity Monitor, select Hazel and do Sample Process. Post/email in the output.

Ah, unfortunately only saw your reply after I'd made it work again (timezones!): it was a fairly drastic workaround though. I'd found that by clearing the Library/Application Support/Hazel directory that the application would start & load the preferences pane, but putting back the .hazelrules files caused it to hang again, so there's clearly *something* that had got corrupted or similar. Of course, this means I've started from a clean slate again - I had some rather old backups that I used to restore the bulk of my rules, but anything recent has been lost. I've since found the Sync Rules option which I've now enabled, but unfortunately had been completely oblivious of this feature until now!
NickSmith

Mr_Noodle wrote:If it is hung, launch Activity Monitor, select Hazel and do Sample Process. Post/email in the output.

I am also having issues with 14.4.1 on Apple Silicon. Do you want a sample of Hazel or the Hazel Helper (which in my case is marked as Not Responding)?
hexadecagram

Yes, please post or email the output.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Yes, please post or email the output.

My issue also turned out to be not related to something else: a network drive that Hazel was attempting to write to was malfunctioning. Thanks again for a very useful program.
hexadecagram

Return to Support