Sort in subfolder based on first part filename

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi!

I am trying to sort files into subfolder based on the first part op the filename (in this case, an e-mail address):

Folder:
jack@test.com-123.jpg
jack@test.com-124.jpg
pete@test.com-1.jpg
pete@test.com-99999.jpg
jane@test.com-981.jpg
jane@test.com-982.jpg

Result:
jack@test.com (folder)
- jack@test.com-123.jpg
- jack@test.com-124.jpg

pete@test.com (folder)
-pete@test.com-1.jpg
-pete@test.com-99999.jpg

jane@test.com (folder)
-jane@test.com-981.jpg
-jane@test.com-982.jpg

I can't find any solution within the "sort into subfolders" with pattern: _______ section.
Is the above possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!
David
davidlok

Have you read the manual on using match patterns?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi,

Yes I did, I feel I'm close to the solution, but can't find (or don't know where to look) the solution to the last part of the puzzle. Would be appreciated (with a licence) if you can help me out.

I now try to replace the final part of the file/folder name, but I can't find the correct why to make the pattern. Regular Expressions are not my strongest point.

Other solution could be to look for "acb@abc.abc-" in the filename, but can't find a way to do this.

Thanks for the help.
David
davidlok

That's not the match pattern function. You need to use a "matches" condition and specify the pattern there. Check the manual again for more info.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi!

I see the Name -> Matches to select files. But I do not want to select files that matches anything. I need to select all .jpg and sort them. But there is nog "matches" option after "sort into subfolder".

Sorry if you feel like I'm not trying, I really have read the documentation but I guess I'm missing out on something.
I indeed need to be able to use some kind of "matches" after the "sort into subfolder'.
davidlok

What do you mean by not wanting to select files by matching anything. That's what you definitely need to do. You set up a condition to match the name, using custom attributes to pull out the parts of the name you want later. You can then use those custom attributes in the Rename/Sort action. At least try it first and report back with screenshots of the rule if you run into problems.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support