Contents of .ofx files

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Contents of .ofx files Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:43 pm • by xyzzy
Results of searching the forum on "ofx" imply that Hazel can "read" contents of .ofx files. Doesn't seem to work here.

I'm trying to set up a simple rule with
Date added is today
Extension is ofx
Contents Contain OR Contents Contain Match <Bank account number (all numbers only, ie 123456)>

If the extension is ofx, the "contents" rule shows a red x using the preview rule button, and no contents are shown.
If I do nothing but change the extension (file and rule) to txt, I get a match.
Won't match the header "OFXHEADER" either, so appears that Hazel isn't getting contents for ofx files.

Hazel 5.2, MacOS 13.2, Apple M1 silicon, Rosetta 2 installed.

Yes I can set up a previous rule to change ofx to txt but seems like that shouldn't be necessary.
xyzzy

Re: Contents of .ofx files Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:12 am • by Mr_Noodle
It depends. How the system categorizes files is based off of the apps you have installed. The apps that open those files define how they are categorized. So, depending on that, the app may categorize ofx as being a text file but it may not. Hazel needs it to be a text file to recognize it as such.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Contents of .ofx files Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:26 pm • by xyzzy
Thanks!

Didn't understand that Hazel was dependent upon an app's characterization of the file (and don't understand why an app (Banktivity in this case) would characterize an .ofx file as anything but text as it's an xml file...but now I know that what Hazel was doing was dependent on that characterization.

Used one rule to change extension to .txt and continue applying rules, another set of rules to rename with info from content recognition and change the extension back to .ofx. Works well now.
xyzzy

Return to Support