Sort files in subfolder using an Excel file

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

hello, everyone,
I am a very satisfied user of Hazel, a great program that has saved me a lot of time in many daily tasks in my work... but I don't have much experience to make complex rules.
I work in a printing company and periodically I receive a folder with hundreds of files (sometimes thousands). The file name is always a 6 number code.
Furthermore I always receive an Excel file with two columns: column A includes the name of the files (6-number code) and column B the material on which each file has to be printed.
It is possible that Hazel will create a folder for each material from the Excel file (usually I use more or less 5 or 6 materials) and move each file (with 6 code numbers) in its corresponding material folder.
I hope I have explained clearly.
Before writing to ask for help I have made several attempts, but I have never achieved my goal.
Thank you very much in advance
Rivederlestelle

You can do that via the tables functionality. If you export the file as a CSV, Hazel can use that to match on one column, then use Sort into subfolder to file into a subfolder based on the other column. Check the manual on match patterns and tables and report back if you run into any problems.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

hello again,
I have to apologize for my clumsiness... and I want to thank you for your very quick response and for wasting your precious time helping me. I promise you that as soon as I bought your program I read the entire manual a couple of times, but I didn't have the option of working with tables in mind.
I can't tell you how many hours of boring work this new rule will save me.
Thank you very much for your help and for creating this wonderful software (money best spent on software, as the podcaster who convinced me to try Hazel likes to say)
Rivederlestelle

Return to Support