File type not supported

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

File type not supported Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:52 am • by nlucchesi
I’m seeing many lines like the following in my log:

Code: Select all
2022-12-06 22:46:22.636 hazelworker[33558] File type not supported: {(
    "public.item",
    "public.folder",
    "public.directory"
)}

What is Hazel trying to tell me?
nlucchesi

Re: File type not supported Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you are using "Contents contain match", then that is saying that a certain file/folder isn't a type that can be read in. In this case, a folder. The message is harmless in this case but if you want to get rid of it, alter your rule to filter out folders or only filter against files whose contents you want to read.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: File type not supported Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 am • by nlucchesi
Mr_Noodle wrote:If you are using "Contents contain match", then that is saying that a certain file/folder isn't a type that can be read in. In this case, a folder. The message is harmless in this case but if you want to get rid of it, alter your rule to filter out folders or only filter against files whose contents you want to read.

Yes, I have lots of Rules that contain “Contents contain match.”

I presume that it is referring to the “Subfolder” that I referred to in this question.

How can I tell which Rule or folder is generating this message in the log?

When you say “alter your rule to filter out folders” do you mean adding a condition like “Kind is PDF”? Does such condition come have to come before the “contain match” condition?
nlucchesi

Re: File type not supported Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:11 pm • by nlucchesi
nlucchesi wrote:When you say “alter your rule to filter out folders” do you mean adding a condition like “Kind is PDF”? Does such condition come have to come before the “contain match” condition?

I added this condition all Rules with a “Content Contain Match” condition and the error went away. (Yes, I put it before any “Content Contain Match” condition.)

Problem solved!
nlucchesi

Return to Support