Renaming files not working

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Renaming files not working Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:10 am • by robot1125
I'm trying to traverse a file hierarchy, and rename any files containing illegal characters (a OneDrive issue). I'm using this post as a guide.

My rule to iterate over all files in subfolders is:

And my rule to rename files is:

And the renaming "name" rule is:

Looking at the rule status, it looks like the rules are firing properly:

But the files are never actually renamed. I think the issue is that in the "name" part of the renaming rule is always set to "No Case Change". I set it to "Replace Text", but it always reverts as if the setting it to Replace Text didn't "stick":

Any help is appreciated!
robot1125

Re: Renaming files not working Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:59 pm • by robot1125
I just did a test that may shed some light.

I duplicated the rules and applied them to a different folder. The subfolder rule is identical. The rename rule was changed to have very simple matching and renaming values:

Matching:

Renaming:

When I apply that to a folder on the native mac file system, it works. If I apply it to a folder on OneDrive, it doesn't.

Is this possibly an issue with how Hazel interacts with the OneDrive file system on a mac?
robot1125

Re: Renaming files not working Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:38 am • by Mr_Noodle
Note that the case options are totally separate from replace text. There's a separator there to indicate that.

OneDrive overall seems to be badly integrated with the OS so if you have any control of that situation at all, I'd consider using a different service altogether. From my experience and from reports from users, Dropbox seems to be the most reliable of the bunch.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support