Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:48 pm • by Frederick
I have an iMac running the Music app. Its Music media is stored at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music
I want to have a copy of all the music on network attached storage at device/Music/Music
Aside from maintaining a backup, I need my Sonos system to see the library and it cannot view the Mac itself.

Using a modification of something Mr. Noodle cooked up in 2013, I watch iTunes Media folder and have the followiing rule
if all the following conditions are met
Name is Music
Kind is Folder
If any of the following conditions are met for the current file or folder
Date Last Modified is after Date Last Matched
If any of the following conditions are met for any of its subfiles or subfolders
Date Last Modified is after Date Last Matched
Sync into folder music

As you may know, the Music folder is organized into artist subfolders which are in turn organized into albums that themselves contain MP3 and MP4 files. The rule is replicating all the artist folders, but it stops there. It appears to attempt to sync albums and files, but it fails with this error

rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(820) [sender=3.1.2]

== End sync output ==
2022-08-09 20:33:07.876 hazelworker[7114] [Error] Could not sync file/folder: Could not sync file/folder at Music to /Volumes/music/Music.
2022-08-09 20:33:07.876 hazelworker[7114] Sync returned error status: 10

It may be that rsync is the source of the issue or that it is unreliable against a Synology host. It sounds like it may be losing its connection. But if we can get this to work, I'm sure others could use it.
Frederick

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
Are you proficient with the commandline? If so, try rsync yourself and see if it works with the Synology.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:59 am • by Frederick
Mr_Noodle wrote:Are you proficient with the commandline? If so, try rsync yourself and see if it works with the Synology.

Hard to say. SSH and rsynch are installed on the Synology, but rsync reports no files to work on

[fjnAdmin] badger:~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/B.B. King =>rsync -avP --rsh=ssh *.* /Volumes/music/B.B.\ King
building file list ...
rsync: link_stat "/Users/fjnAdmin/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/B.B. King/*.*" failed: No such file or directory (2)
0 files to consider

sent 29 bytes received 20 bytes 98.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /AppleInternal/Library/BuildRoots/b6051351-c030-11ec-96e9-3e7866fcf3a1/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]
Frederick

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
rsync doesn't need to be running on the Synology if it's mounted. I suspect there's more of a filesystem level issue with the Synology. Can you do a test syncing to a folder on the local drive?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:52 pm • by Frederick
Mr_Noodle wrote:rsync doesn't need to be running on the Synology if it's mounted. I suspect there's more of a filesystem level issue with the Synology. Can you do a test syncing to a folder on the local drive?

you mean using Synology as the source or target?
Frederick

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 am • by Mr_Noodle
Without the Synology at all as a baseline to make sure the issue is not something else.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Shadowing iTunes Music on NWS Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:38 pm • by Frederick
works with mounted drives, but not NAS. That tells me to pursue the matter with Synology, I guess.
Frederick

Return to Support