Matching Date using general date

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Matching Date using general date Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:10 am • by PhilM
I have a Supermarkets rule that keeps a table for my supermarket names, and processes the relevant files with a rename and file in relevant folder. Works a lot of the time.
But I'm trying to troubleshoot one receipt - if it happens here, it can happen in other receipts.
The document has the date in it - 23/01/22 - and the rule is set to recognise automatically. The text is readable, copyable and shows up accurately when pasted into Notes.
The only part of the rule failing is the date. I remember being skeptical a few years ago, but was assured it would read the date according to the region rules, so I can't see why it wouldn't interpret the date as 23 Jan 2022.
But clearly it's not.
Any thoughts?
Happy to send through rule and relevant receipt if you need a closer look.
Thanks
Phil
PhilM

Re: Matching Date using general date Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:37 am • by Mr_Noodle
The date is ambiguous and I'd suggest specifying a pattern in this case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Matching Date using general date Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:47 pm • by PhilM
Thank you. I've started using the "any" option to enter dates in their various formats.
PhilM

Re: Matching Date using general date Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:37 pm • by PhilM
So on the back of this, I have another question. I use an "any" option to have contents contain match, and currently have 3 date options: ddmmyyyy slash date, ddmmyy slash date, yyyymmdd dash date reverse (i.e. yyyy-mm-dd).
Originally I only put ddmmyyyy slash Date in the renaming option (to format as yyyymmdd)
But a couple of receipts processed without dates.
If I put all options in the rename, will that give me 3 dates or 1 date and 2 spaces?

Or do I need to create separate rules for each date-type?

Phil
PhilM

Re: Matching Date using general date Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:41 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can set up multiple conditions within the same rule under a nested condition (look that up in the manual) set to "any". In those conditions, set up a custom date attribute to match the date. You can re-use the same date attribute in the subsequent conditions. When you do that, it will carry the value of the first actual match.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Matching Date using general date Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:45 am • by PhilM
So if I have 4 nested conditions and it matches on the 2nd, do I then have to have all 4 date patterns in the rename or can I just use the 1st one in the rename and it will apply days months and years regardless of which condition secured the match?
PhilM

Re: Matching Date using general date Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:44 am • by Mr_Noodle
You should only have one custom attribute, not 4. Use the same one in each. After creating it in the first condition, you'll see it's available to drag in in the subsequent ones. When you do it that way, there will only be one custom attribute in the Rename action.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Matching Date using general date Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:04 pm • by PhilM
Thank you so much. I did not realise you could nominate previous custom attributes in the conditions section. That will help a lot.
PhilM

Return to Support