Hazel looking in folders when I didn't ask.

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel looking in folders when I didn't ask. Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:58 pm • by JasonNewton
Hi there,

I have Hazel scan my Desktop folder for log files and move them to folders on Dropbox. However, I have noticed that now (but it may have been happening for some time), the script that is set up actually looks inside any folders on the desktop and moves any log files it finds. How do I stop this? It never used to happen.

Kind Regards
JasonNewton

Do you have any other rules for your Desktop folder? Can you send me logs showing it doing this?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Okay, what is happening is that I have another rule that looks inside folders and changes the contents name based on the folder name. Somehow, this rule is also applying itself to other rules.

As these two rules run at the end of the last tin the panel, why are they interfering with other rules?
Is the order wrong? As it stands, these rules are also running on the 'Artist' rules.

JasonNewton

I'm really sorry I'm finding it difficult to explain.

Basically, I have a rule that looks inside folders on the desktop and names their contents based on the source folder name. The only way I could get it to work was to make two separate rules. One that look inside the folder and another that does the renaming. The renaming rule sits beneath the other rule.

However, I have another rule that scans the desktop for log files and moves them elsewhere. That rule no longer works but instead looks inside any folder on the desktop and then moves any log file it finds.

The rule for looking inside a folder on the desktop seems to be overriding the other rules.
JasonNewton

Why shouldn't it move log files in subfolders. You specify that Hazel should go into subfolders so any other rules you have will apply to subfolders as well. If you only want to process logs at the top level, you need to add a "Subfolder Depth" condition. Also, your "Movie Folders" rule should only match Folders, and not every item at subfolder depth 0.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Why shouldn't it move log files in subfolders. You specify that Hazel should go into subfolders so any other rules you have will apply to subfolders as well. If you only want to process logs at the top level, you need to add a "Subfolder Depth" condition. Also, your "Movie Folders" rule should only match Folders, and not every item at subfolder depth 0.

Thank you. I didn't really understand that I could use Subfolder Depth 0.
Everything seems okay now. :D
JasonNewton

Return to Support