How to use epub embedded meta-data

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

How to use epub embedded meta-data Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:49 pm • by liam
Hi
I have a lot of epubs with various random formatted filenames. I would like to rename the files based on the embedded metadata in the epub (along the lines of what I can do with PDFs where I can reference the content of the pdf). I have found where I can set a condition based on kind=epub, but I can't see how I would reference the title and author in the epub's metadata.

Is this something that Hazel can do?

Thank you
Cheers, Liam
liam

Re: How to use epub embedded meta-data Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Select the file in Finder and do "Get Info". Check to make sure the metadata is available (most of it should be under "More info"). See how they are listed there and in Hazel, select "Other" and find those same attributes in the list that appears.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: How to use epub embedded meta-data Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:10 pm • by liam
Mr_Noodle wrote:Select the file in Finder and do "Get Info". Check to make sure the metadata is available (most of it should be under "More info"). See how they are listed there and in Hazel, select "Other" and find those same attributes in the list that appears.

Thanks, I was on the right track just the epubs I was testing with appear to not have the metadata :-(
liam

Re: How to use epub embedded meta-data Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:09 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Note that it may be the case that you don't have a Spotlight importer for epubs to provide that metadata. I don't think macOS ships with one but it's possible there's an epub app out there that has one to accompany it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support