Date changes problem

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Date changes problem Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 am • by MikeyMike
Hello,

I was setting up a rule to sort out and rename receipts I am scanning, but after few files the date it gives to the files is something that makes no sense at all. "lisäyspäivä" in the rule means the date it is added, idk why it shows in Finnish not in English.

MikeyMike

Re: Date changes problem Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
Is Finnish one of the languages your system is set to? Did you select it from the "other" list? If so, is there a reason you did not use the built-in date added?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Date changes problem Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:16 am • by MikeyMike
Mr_Noodle wrote:Is Finnish one of the languages your system is set to? Did you select it from the "other" list? If so, is there a reason you did not use the built-in date added?

Yes I did have my operating system in Finnish, but changed it to English since even tho Finnish is my native language I understand these computer terms better in English. So the problem was caused by using the "date added" function and it was fixed when I changed it to "current date". That incorrect date was given to files with certain names, but then same files with (mostly) shorter names got the right date. It was something that's way over my understanding why it did that, but it fixed when I changed the rule to give it current date instead of date it was added. In my eyes they both mean the same day in this case, but the computer disagreed with me.

Although I already moved into new ruling system since the receipts I am scanning are very old and they date back many many years from now. So I decided to put the correct year to their name by hand and then let Hazel sort them into folders to correspond the date that is in its name. So that way every scanned document/receipt goes into the right year/month/day folder no matter when they are scanned. I believe this could be done also by using OCR, but I think that's way beyond my skill level to get it done correctly. Like how the OCR or Hazel knows which date in the paper is the actual date I want it to be categorized in my folder system? Since there might be multiple days in one document and they might not be in same line always.

But if you do have some better way to handle this I am more than interested to know about it. Although discovering and buying your software and setting it up on my old mbp is already like lifesaving feature to digitalize all these papers that I have in shoe boxes all over my house. This makes life so much easier when I can just get rid off all this paper and they could be searched by OCR in case I need to find some specific receipt for example.

Lastly I would like to ask that is there a way to make my mbp to stay awake while its lid is closed. I would like to lock its screen so nobody can't access the files without password and store it away with lid closed and still being able to sort these documents with Hazel. I know this is like completely off topic and has nothing to do with your software and I am sorry for bringing it up here, but I don't have any mac user friends that have this level of skills to perform such things. They are all regular users who don't tinker with anything like this. I am now connected to wifi, but my mbp is so old that it has the ethernet port also if this "trick" needs that. Although my ports are in pretty rough shape so I am not sure is it still functional since some of the ports are not.

And I am really sorry about the double posting I made yesterday. I completely miss out the message that the new topics need to be approved by admin and I didn't find that text from the posting rules either. So I thought it probably disappeared somehow and I made a new one and then saw the text about approval and immediately feeling like completely moron by starting my journey on this forum with double post when it clearly says that topics need admins approval...
MikeyMike

Re: Date changes problem Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:19 am • by Mr_Noodle
Again, though, because it is in Finnish, that suggests you are using the alternate/system date added and not the built-in one. I suggest trying that one instead.

As for your issue with your mbp, I suggest finding a forum for general Apple help.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Date changes problem Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:40 pm • by MikeyMike
Mr_Noodle wrote:Again, though, because it is in Finnish, that suggests you are using the alternate/system date added and not the built-in one. I suggest trying that one instead.

As for your issue with your mbp, I suggest finding a forum for general Apple help.

Okay and thank you for helping me out.
MikeyMike

Return to Support