Hazel constantly is running

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel constantly is running Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am • by IVG
Hi - I have all my content on my desktop in a deep folder structure... and I have the following rules to label and OCR all PDF's that I might have... however, Hazel does not stop running once it reaches the end of the folder structure it runs in a loop and I am not sure where do I have one - these are the rules that I have - can someone please help me figure out where I went wrong?

1.Rule 1
IF all conditions: Kind IS PDF; Tags DO NOT CONTAIN "Need to OCR"; passes shell script
Do the following: Add tags "Need to OCR"; Rename with pattern name replace text "-ocr" with " "

2. Rule 2
IF all conditions: Kind IS PDF; Name DOES NOT COTAIN "-OCR" passes shell script
Do the following: Rename with pattern name -OCR extension

3. Rule 3
IF all the conditions are met:Kind is PDF; tags contain "need to OCR"
Do the following: Run applescript; rename with pattern name "-OCR" extension; remove tags "Need to OCR"

4. Rule 4
IF all the conditions are met: Kind IS Folder
Do the following: Run Rules on Folder Contents

Thanks in advance!
IVG

Re: Hazel constantly is running Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 am • by Mr_Noodle
Is it re-running rules? If so, you should look into why those files are matching again.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel constantly is running Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am • by IVG
Mr_Noodle wrote:Is it re-running rules? If so, you should look into why those files are matching again.

I don't know why... how would i diagnose that?

Also if I want to have a rule that removes a suffix from a file should I just use rename?
IVG

Re: Hazel constantly is running Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am • by IVG
Ok I think I figured it out, I went through the log and I looked at the files that keep repeating - it happens because they fail OCR - so I added a condition to ignore these files.I manually added a different suffix to such files and if it is present these files are not matched.

now running hazel again to see if it stops in the end
IVG

Re: Hazel constantly is running Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:24 pm • by IVG
so while there are no more repeat files that are being matched, Hazel continues to run in a loop.... don't know how to fix it, please advise!

Thanks!
IVG

Re: Hazel constantly is running Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post an excerpt of the logs showing this loop?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel constantly is running Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am • by IVG
Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you post an excerpt of the logs showing this loop?

@Mr_Noodle - I have PM'd you the updated log with debugging data - but I am not sure whether you received the message - the messages are sitting in my outbox and are not sending.... Please let me know if you receive my PM.

Thanks!
IVG

Re: Hazel constantly is running Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:00 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I sent you this before, please email in to support. The PM system here is not very well suited for any conversations or support. I have just downloaded your file but please email in to support if you want any feedback on it. Cite this thread so I know who it's from.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support