Un-do an applied rules possible?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Un-do an applied rules possible? Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm • by LynneMarie
Hi everyone.
I am new to Hazel and I have a lot to learn. Unfortunately I wanted a learning shortcut and used a rule someone else made to do what I thought would exactly meet my needs.
Well things didn't work out as planned because I didn't fully understand the rules I was making and how they would interact with previous rules I applied. :oops:
So now I have a weird mess I can't understand. I don't think it is particularly complex or difficult to repair, but I am afraid I'll make it worse if I start tweaking it without understanding.
Does anyone feel like helping a newbie out?
If yes, I would be happy to explain further (and offer eternal gratitude and promise to keep my nose clean in my future Hazel rule making ;)
Cheers to any takers!
Lynne Marie
LynneMarie

Re: Un-do an applied rules possible? Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:07 pm • by Mr_Noodle
There is no undo, unfortunately. You can view the logs to see what Hazel did so you can undo it manually though. Go to Hazel's "Info" section and click "View Log". Or if you keep backups, you can revert to a previous version. In the future, it's a good idea to test any rules, especially ones that you didn't write yourself.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Un-do an applied rules possible? Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:11 am • by LynneMarie
Thanks!
Yes, I ended up doing just that and I was able to fix things (because the rule was not that complex)
Since I have been running my own (simple teenie tiny) rules with success.
I still wish I knew what went wrong with the old rule. It was something about changing the name of the parent folder and moving it to trash. It did change the name, and the name of other things it shouldn't (like the folder it was to be moved to) but didn't (blessing in disguise) move anything to trash. (??)
It skipped a step (was supposed to install fonts after unpacking them) But wt-heck, I am still learning.
I have decided to go back to "baby steps" and use Hazel to make small specific cleaning up tasks and then move on to daily general daily tasks when I have a better grip on the specifics of rules (like nesting folders and such) I am not a crack by far (sure wish I was) but I am super lazy and I really need Hazel because there is nothing worse than a super lazy person who works with a lot of files, folders and data everyday. (disaster)
Okie dokie,
Thanks a lot,
Lynne Marie
LynneMarie

Re: Un-do an applied rules possible? Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am • by Mr_Noodle
Make sure to make heavy use of the preview function (the "eye" button). Pause the rules for the folder and make sure everything looks ok in the preview before resuming them again.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Un-do an applied rules possible? Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 am • by boom3713
I had the same issue and was able to fix it. I moved over 5,000 unwanted files. So I simply used Time Machine on Mac to restore all the files to their original location.
boom3713

Return to Support