Get contents of disk images

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Get contents of disk images Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:39 pm • by invictus26
I really like how Hazel has the ability to extract archive files and then delete the archive, but I also wanted the same thing for disk images. I couldn't get it to work with built-in methods, so I wrote this script:

Code: Select all
# Destination for disk image contents, change if desired
destPath = "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Downloads/"

# Get path of disk image from Hazel
path = ARGV[0]

# Mounts the disk image, agrees to the license agreement and supresses the Finder window that normally pops up. I tried using -noautoopen, but that didn't work for me, so I used -nobrowse, which hides the mounted image from the Finder entirely. Change if desired
output = %x[echo "y" | hdiutil attach -nobrowse #{path.dump}]

# Gets the path of the new mounted volume
volPath = output.split("\n")[-1].split("\t")[-1]

# Gets every item in the disk image
items = %x[cd #{volPath.dump}; ls].split("\n")

# Goes through all the items and copies anything that's not an alias (Usually to the Applications folder) to the destination path specified above
items.each do |item|
  if !%x[GetFileInfo -a #{volPath.dump + "/" + item}].include?("A")
    %x[cp -R #{volPath.dump + "/" + item + " " + destPath.dump}]
  end
end

# Unmounts the disk image and moves it to the trash
%x[hdiutil unmount #{volPath.dump}; mv #{path.dump} ~/.Trash]

You can modify the destination path "destPath" at the top to set where you want the contents of the disk image to go. Just paste the code into a text editor and give it the extension ".rb". Then just have Hazel look for disk images and run an embedded shell script:

ruby "/Path/To/Script/CoolScript.rb" "$1"

I can also modify it to move any applications straight to the Applications folder if that would be useful. I tested this out on a few application disk images, so let me know if anything isn't working right and I'll try to fix it.
invictus26

Re: Get contents of disk images Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I actually thought about having the Unarchive action handle DMGs as well. The problem is if the DMG has a license agreement. While as a user, you can suppress that/automatically agree in your script, I can't circumvent that for you for legal reasons. Unfortunately, Apple changed the way hdiutil works. It used to bring up the GUI but now brings up a terminal interface for the license agreement. For me to do it properly, I would need to replicate that GUI myself, including deciphering the eula format in the DMG.

Thanks for the script.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Get contents of disk images Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm • by invictus26
Here is an updated version of the script. Now it will create a folder in the destination directory to hold the disk image contents if there are multiple files. It also handles contents with spaces in their names better.

# Destination for disk image contents, change if desired, but make sure to keep the trailing slash.
destPath = "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Downloads/"

# Get path of disk image from Hazel
path = ARGV[0]

# Mounts the disk image, agrees to the license agreement and supresses the Finder window that normally pops up. I tried using -noautoopen, but that didn't work for me, so I used -nobrowse, which hides the mounted image from the Finder entirely. Change if desired

# Gets the path of the new mounted volume
volPath = output.split("\n")[-1].split("\t")[-1]

# Gets every item in the disk image
items = %x[cd #{volPath.dump}; ls].split("\n")

# Looks to see if there is more than one non-alias file in the disk image
i = 0
items.each do |item|
  i += 1 if !%x[GetFileInfo -a #{(volPath + "/" + item).dump}].include?("A")
end

# Make a folder to hold disk image contents if there are multiple files
if i > 1
  destPath = destPath + volPath.split("/")[-1] + "/"
  %x[mkdir -p #{destPath.dump}]
end

# Goes through all the items and copies anything that's not an alias (Usually to the Applications folder) to the destination path specified above.
items.each do |item|
  if !%x[GetFileInfo -a #{(volPath + "/" + item).dump}].include?("A")
      %x[cp -R #{(volPath + "/" + item).dump + " " + destPath.dump}]
  end
end

# Unmounts the disk image and moves it to the trash
%x[hdiutil unmount #{volPath.dump}; mv #{path.dump} ~/.Trash]
invictus26

Re: Get contents of disk images Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:08 pm • by musecaptain
This script sounds great! However I haven't been able to make it work. I get an error:
Hazel_DMG_to_folder.rb:8: syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting end-of-input
                   ^

== End script output ==

Any ideas on how to fix this?
musecaptain

Re: Get contents of disk images Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:35 pm • by Martenzi
I had issues with unmounted the disks so Disk Utility kept a list of all dmg-s and I was "forced" to unmount manually. They seemed to put workload on my system and I have a bit of OCD on leaving used DMG-s mounted.

I changed the last part and removed the "move to trash" as I keep my DMGs in folder for temp storage until I trust my current High Sierra build.

By using
hdiutil eject
instead of
detach -force
I got the script running smoothly and no issues with Finder.

# Unmounts the disk image
%x[hdiutil eject #{volPath.dump}]
Martenzi

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS