My Perfect Process:Movie+TV D/L, Convert, UnRar, Rename, Tag

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

They are running in different environments. In general, with shellscripts, it's very bad to assume you are running in your particular interactive shell environment. You should be using full paths as a regular practice. Hazel runs in a non-interactive shell so it doesn't have access to all the stuff that's set in your rc/profile/whatever files that are executed when you log into a shell with Terminal.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Very nice! I am a relatively new Mac and have fumbled though implementing this process. I am tweaking each step as I go along and have run into and issue that I am sure has a simple solution that is alluding me. The issue is with the step where we encode the video file. I am using hazel and running the Batch Rip Batch Encode workflow. If the file is .avi it runs fine and I get my m4v out. If the file is mkv, I get multiple files out. If I right-click the same mkv file and choose that same service Batch Rip Batch Encode, it only outputs one file.

In the Batch Rip Batch Encode workflow, I only have the first encode box checked, the rest are greyed out and I have nothing in the custom fields. Any ideas?
esweeney

Been away for awhile. Getting around to updating to Hazel 3 this weekend. Then I need to update this post in the OP. Biggest change is that newest Safari doesnt support RSS feeds. I have worked around this somewhat but need to find a good solution for everyone.
dhy8386

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I ran into the same error of being able to make this work in terminal directly but seeing a failure when running through Hazel. I am not a programmer but these instructions were really detailed from the OP so I thought I'd give this all a go. Many thanks to him for taking the time to put this together in a way that even a newbie can follow.

My config.json file lives on an external hard drive named Central Media. This is also where I keep all of my episode files. I noticed that when I dragged the .json file into terminal it created the path as
/Volumes/Central\ Media/mytvnamerconfig.js
rather than what I expected to be
/Volumes/Central Media/mytvnamerconfig.json

When I first set up my Hazel rule and modified the OP embedded script, I entered it as

/usr/local/bin/tvnamer --config=/Volumes/Central Media/mytvnamerconfig.json and this failed. After comparing the embedded script in Hazel to the terminal lines, I changed my rule to read

/usr/local/bin/tvnamer --config=/Volumes/Central\ Media/mytvnamerconfig.json and the episodes moved perfectly!

I guess that the space in the name of the Volume doesn't work well. If you are seeing the terminal work properly but the Hazel script failing, do you have a space in the volume name or somewhere in the path?
jungybrand

How do you make iFlicks auto start processing the file. I can get them into iFlicks, but then they get stuck there, and i need to manually click "start"
hatbat

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS