Open THIS thing on THAT computer

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Open THIS thing on THAT computer Wed May 05, 2010 12:18 pm • by valiant66
I work primarily on a desktop machine, but while browsing I often come across some cool trick or app that applies only to a laptop. I could just sync the page to my evernote or whatever, but then I have to remember to pro-actively retrieve that stuff next time I'm on my laptop. And I usually don't.

So I wrote a hazel script instead that uses dropbox.

I created a directory in my dropbox (which I called "webpages4laptop", unimaginatively enough). When I come across a laptop-specific page I want opened on my laptop, I drag the addressbar link to that directory.

It syncs with dropbox on my laptop, and there I have a simple hazel script. It watches that directory, and opens any file that is not blue, then turns that file blue.

By choosing to open with default application, this means I could also drop a zip or dmg file in there, if I wanted. Or any file, really.

Then, the next time I unsleep my laptop, the page (or whatever) automatically opens up after a few moments.

And I don't have to remember to do anything special for it to happen.

Hope this helps someone else.
valiant66

Re: Open THIS thing on THAT computer Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the great tip. Though it wasn't made for it, I find it interesting how people are using DropBox + Hazel as a way to do remote triggers on other machines. There are times when I'm browsing on one machine and want to open an URL on another so this would be a neat way to do it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS