Sorting Screenshots

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Sorting Screenshots Thu May 12, 2016 5:56 pm • by iampariah
I write books and articles on using Adobe software, which, as you might expect, requires I take many, many screenshots. My work on epublishing in various formats is particularly screenshot-intensive as I have to capture screens on the usual Mac and Windows computers but also on iPads, Android tablets, and a variety of smartphones. I have Dropbox capturing all of those screenshots and automatically synching them in its /screenshots folder. From there, I have Hazel identify the device from which the screenshot initiated, rename, and tag the file.

I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested in the workflow as is or as a technique for another use.

As you can see, the recipes figure out where a screenshot came from based on the image dimensions. I have additional rules for images that come from my laptops, main desktop, and other devices. They're all renamed and labeled as above, and kept in the Dropbox /screenshots folder. Other Hazel rules sort them into year- and month-based subfolders, zip old ones, and delete older files.
iampariah

Re: Sorting Screenshots Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:27 pm • by opencagekitty
I find this help too. I always do computer screen shots for forensic and showing the process of steps.
Thanks for the tip!
opencagekitty

Re: Sorting Screenshots Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm • by adamlogan
Images are not appearing.
adamlogan

Re: Sorting Screenshots Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:14 pm • by iampariah
adamlogan wrote:Images are not appearing.

Yeah, looks like they were deleted from the image sharing server sometime in the last 8 years. I wish we could post images directly to the forums instead of having to host them somewhere.
iampariah

Re: Sorting Screenshots Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 am • by adamlogan
Agreed :(
adamlogan

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS