OCR PDF in Acrobat

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 pm • by mshpkh
I've tried to run the script, but I get the following error:
"Applescript failed.
Error using Applescript OCR_using_Acrobat.srpt on the file [file name].pdf."

I've never created an Applescript before, so I suspect that's my problem. I opened AppleScript Editor, Clicked on the Record button, pasted the text of the script from macdrifter's post, clicked on Compile, and then clicked on Run, which caused Acrobat to open. I saved the Script as OCR_using_Acrobat.srpt in Library/Scripts/Applications/Acrobat. I tried to run it on a folder containing scanned PDFs, and when that didn't work I removed all but one of the pdfs thinking that the problem might be the number of pdfs in the folder. Same error.

What am I doing wrong?
mshpkh

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not sure if I understand what you did. If you hit record that generates a script and has nothing to do with the script macdrifter supplied. By your description, I think what you did was generate a script of you pasting macdrifter's script into the AppleScript editor. Just take that text and paste it into Hazel's AppleScript editor.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 pm • by riley
Having problems running Applescript in Hazel Rule. Want to OCR for Spotlight searches of downloaded bank statements.
Hazel identifies downloaded PDF using "source/url address" and renames the file and moves it to another folder - works as desired. However, when I add an action to run the posted OCR Applescript between the rename and move actions, I get an error message from Growl.

I have no knowledge of Applescript, but it is not clear how this script knows the file name to be opened? How do I get Hazel to substiute the renamed file for "thefile" in the script?

Thanks for any suggestions.
riley

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 pm • by riley
riley wrote:Having problems running Applescript in Hazel Rule. Want to OCR for Spotlight searches of downloaded bank statements.
Hazel identifies downloaded PDF using "source/url address" and renames the file and moves it to another folder - works as desired. However, when I add an action to run the posted OCR Applescript between the rename and move actions, I get an error message from Growl.

I have no knowledge of Applescript, but it is not clear how this script knows the file name to be opened? How do I get Hazel to substiute the renamed file for "thefile" in the script?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Problem solved after reading Hazel Help suggestion to embed the script. Next problem is that Acrobat Pro can not OCR many of the PDFs that I am downloading. Get the "Renderable Text" message...
One work around is to first open the PDF in Preview and do a "Save as PDF...", and then open this new version in Acrobat to OCR - much too complicated, even with Hazel. In a test I found that PDFpen - using the Command-Option keys - will OCR the document...
I would be interested in the experience of others in OCR'ing downloaded PDFs.
riley

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 pm • by bduncan
noddy67 wrote:Has anyone tried to use the highlighter pen functionality in the scan snap software to attach keywords to the scanned pdfs and then have hazel automatically rename the files based on the keyword data and move it to the correct folder?

If so I'd be very grateful if you could share exactly how you've done it.
Thanks

Hi Noddy, I gave this a go and posted about it. It worked pretty well. Let me know if you have any questions. http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-an ... ss-heaven/
bduncan

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Very cool. When I get around to it, I'll update Buzz page with a link to it, if you don't mind.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:33 pm • by bduncan
Mr_Noodle wrote:Very cool. When I get around to it, I'll update Buzz page with a link to it, if you don't mind.

Be my guest! Love Hazel.
bduncan

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:40 pm • by drewschug
Awesome, Thanks for the AppleScript. This opened my eyes to the potential of this great program (Hazel).
drewschug

Re: OCR PDF in Acrobat Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:44 pm • by Sushi70
Hello,

I need this script for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
Idon´t to migrate the script to DC.
Who can help me, please?

Regards
Sushi70
Sushi70

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS