Fix a hung file without forcing rules to run

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Fix a hung file without forcing rules to run Wed May 27, 2009 7:34 pm • by a_freyer
Sometimes, Hazel does not recognize that a file is new to a particular folder. For me this happens mostly during PDF creation from InDesign. Once the file is created on the desktop and InDesign is closed, Hazel sometimes doesn't catch that its there. Weird, but liveable.

So, rename the file twice.

Select File
Hit Enter (to rename)
Add a space, or extra character of somesort
Click out to confirm
Hit Enter again (to catch the file before Hazel sees it)
Delete your added character
Hazel whisks it away

It's dirty, but it forces hazel to notice that a file is sitting in a watched folder.
a_freyer

Have you check the logs? One guess is that perhaps InDesign is keeping a lock on the file but the logs may provide a better clue as to why this is happening.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I have checked the logs, and the files aren't locked. Thats why I can do this trick right away.

I should say that this doesn't only happen in indesign. It happens every now and then with many other programs - usually when a similarly named file was recently moved from that location. With indesign, a zero KB is moved right away by hazel, and the completed file (taking some time more) is left.
a_freyer

Ah, there is a bug when a file with the same name is saved over and over again. This should be fixed in the next version.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS