Sync a folder and DropBox

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Sync a folder and DropBox Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 pm • by Korm
I want to keep the instance of Together on one machine in sync with the instance on my laptop. I am using DropBox on both machines (getdropbox.com). A Together database is a folder with subfolders. If I add a .pdf to Together, for example, its still a .pdf file in the Together database. So, on each machine (running Hazel on both) I think I need two rules: one to sync from the Together folder to a dummy folder in DropBox, and one to sync from the dummy folder in DropBox to the Together folder. That way, Hazel will handle the syncing within each machine, and DropBox will handle the syncing between machines.

DropBox automatically sync only things that change inside its own folder(s). I want Hazel to do the same thing between the DropBox and the Together folder - just add/delete based on changes.

So, what rules would I use?
Korm

Re: Sync a folder and DropBox Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:59 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel can do limited syncing. You can set up a rule to copy the file over if it's date modified is later than the date last matched (which means the file has changed since the rule last matched). This would catch any changes and such. The one exception is deletions. Hazel does not operate on files that aren't there so currently it would not sync deletions from one folder to the other.

I'm considering the possibility of actions triggerable on delete but there are a few issues to work out, such as what are the actions actually operating on if there is no file? Maybe another option is a sync action that operates on folders.

In any case, I'm not sure if the above limitations are acceptable but outside of using a script, there currently isn't a good way of dealing with deleted files.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sync a folder and DropBox Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm • by rabidkoala
Couldn't you just create a symbolic link between the folder you want to sync on Dropbox and the folder that resides on your HD? That's what I do with my Documents folder. For all intents and purposes, they're the same folder. All syncing is handled by Dropbox.
rabidkoala

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS