Label files in Folder and subfolders

From your noodle to other noodles. Talk about ways to get the most from Hazel. Even exchange recipes for the cool rules you've thought up. DO NOT POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE.

Moderators: Mr_Noodle, Moderators

Label files in Folder and subfolders Tue May 06, 2008 5:31 am • by nestor
Hi,
to rapidly see all the files and projects I'm working in I have them tagged in comments as "@progress"; as in a lot of cases they're long term projects I'd like to label files and folders inside my "Documents" folder and in its subfolders tagged with "@progress" with different colors based on "last opend" criteria I've set some rules but somthing isn't working:

Folder Documents:

Type: Folder --> run rules on subfolders

If date last opened is Today (in the last 0 days?) label blue
If date last opened is in the last 3 days label green
If date last opened is in the last 5 days label orange
If date last opened is in NOT in the last 5 days label red

is it correct? :oops:
thx
nestor

Re: Label files in Folder and subfolders Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm • by Mr_Noodle
I assume those rules also have a condition like "Comment contains @progress" ?

Also, you can check the last opened date by doing "Get Info" on the file in Finder (it's under "More Info"). Make sure that date reflects your notion of what "opening" is.

As for the "Today" condition, you can use "in the last 1 day". The next version will have specific items in the pop up for "Today", "This Week", etc. It will differ in that it will be aligned with the calendar day, not just the last 24 hours, if that makes sense (i.e. the day starting and ending at midnight).

Otherwise, your rules look correct. How does it look when you do a preview?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Label files in Folder and subfolders Wed May 14, 2008 5:44 am • by nestor
Mr_Noodle wrote:I assume those rules also have a condition like "Comment contains @progress" ?

Also, you can check the last opened date by doing "Get Info" on the file in Finder (it's under "More Info"). Make sure that date reflects your notion of what "opening" is.

As for the "Today" condition, you can use "in the last 1 day". The next version will have specific items in the pop up for "Today", "This Week", etc. It will differ in that it will be aligned with the calendar day, not just the last 24 hours, if that makes sense (i.e. the day starting and ending at midnight).

Otherwise, your rules look correct. How does it look when you do a preview?

Yes the rules also have a "comment" condition. As for multiple labelling depending on the last opened day I think the problem is there's no possiblity of building a 'between' condition.
Let's see:
Opened yesterday --> GREEN
Opened in the last 4 days (BUT NOT yesterday) --> YELLOW
Opened in the last 7 days (BUT NOT in the last 4 days) --> ORANGE
I noticed that if I disable two rules and mantain one the preview applies to all files the same label (and this makes sense as one condition is contained in the other: e.g. a file opened yestarday is also a file opened in the last four days

Could it be the answer?
Any workaround?
thx
nestor

Re: Label files in Folder and subfolders Wed May 14, 2008 5:51 am • by nestor
nestor wrote:Yes the rules also have a "comment" condition. As for multiple labelling depending on the last opened day I think the problem is there's no possiblity of building a 'between' condition.
Let's see:
Opened yesterday --> GREEN
Opened in the last 4 days (BUT NOT yesterday) --> YELLOW
Opened in the last 7 days (BUT NOT in the last 4 days) --> ORANGE
I noticed that if I disable two rules and mantain one the preview applies to all files the same label (and this makes sense as one condition is contained in the other: e.g. a file opened yestarday is also a file opened in the last four days

Could it be the answer?
Any workaround?
thx

Sorry I solved the issue: to make "between" condition the order of the rules must be from recent to older and not viceversa
nestor

Return to Tips & Tricks - DO NOT POST QUESTIONS